Complete Guide for Starting & Operating a Business.
Goat farming is not a new enterprise. Rearing goats is a profitable business. The goat has been rearing since time immemorial. Generally, goat farming means rearing goats for harvesting milk, meat, and fiber.
At present, goat farming has become a profitable business and it requires a very low investment because of its multi-functional utility. Commercial goat farming business is contributing greatly to the economy and nutrition of a country.
Advantages of Goat Farming
There are many advantages of the goat farming business. You can also raise goats along with your other livestock animals. Goats have been considered as poor man’s cow (mini cow) for the poor people because of their immense contribution to the rural economy and national income.
Goat products like milk and meat is not only nutritious and easily digestible food but also a great source of regular income for the poor, landless and marginal farmers.
As goats are small-sized animals, so they are easily maintained. Even they are easily maintained and cared for by women and children. For a successful goat farming business, you need to do some common tasks such as feeding, milking, and caring.
These simple tasks do not require much equipment, capital, labor, or hard work. The main advantages of starting a goat farming business are described below.
- Starting a goat farming business requires low initial investment or capital.
- Goats don’t require a huge area for housing because their body size is comparatively smaller than other livestock animals.
- Usually goats are very friendly in nature and very lovable.
- Goats are good breeders and they reach sexual maturity within their 7-12 months of age and give birth to kids within a short time. And some goat breed produces numerous kids per kidding.
- Risks are less for goat farming (even in drought-prone areas) than any other livestock farming business.
- Both male and female goats have almost equal value/price in the market.
- No religious taboo against goat farming and meat consumption.
- Goat meat and milk are cholesterol-free and easily digestible.
- Goat milk is used for making various types of foods and it’s very easy to digest than the milk of cows.
- Commercial goat farming business has created a potential way of employment for unemployed people.
- Goats are multi-purpose animals. They can produce milk, meat, skin, fiber, and manure at the same time.
- There is no need for a high-end housing system for goats. Even they can easily share their living place with their owners or his/her other livestock animals.
- Goats are very suitable for mixed farming with other domestic animals.
- Diseases are less in goats than other domestic animals.
- Goats are easily available, comparatively cheaper in price, easy to maintain, and always have a friendly disposition.
- They are capable of adapting themselves to almost all types of agro-climatic environments or conditions. They can tolerate high and low temperatures throughout the world and live happily. They also can tolerate hot climate more than other animals.
- According to the investment per unit they produce more than other domestic animals. And the ROI (return of investment) ratio is very good.
- Goats are generally smaller in size but reach slaughter age faster.
- Goats are called the “foster mother of humans”. Because their milk is considered the best milk for human consumption than any other species of livestock animal’s milk. And their milk is low cost, nutritious, wholesome, and easily digestible. All aged people from child to old one can easily digest goat’s milk. Goat milk also has lesser allergic problems. And used as an Ayurvedic medicine for people who are ailing from diabetes, asthma, cough, etc.
- Goat milk is suitable for preparing various types of milk products. And goat meat has a huge demand and high price in the local and international markets. Even you can consider exporting your products to foreign countries for more profits.
- Goats can be milked as often as required. This also prevents refrigeration costs and milk storage problems.
- You can use the goat’s manure as a high-quality natural fertilizer in a crop field. This will directly help to maximize crop production.
- As goat farming business is very profitable, so many govt. and non-govt. banks are providing loans for starting this business.
- This business requires less labor and you can easily use your family labor for raising goats.
- Commercial goat farming business is a great source of employment and income. So unemployed educated people can easily create great employment and income source through raising goats commercially.
- Along with the above advantages, there are also many advantages of raising goats commercially.
How to Start Goat Farming Business
For starting and maintaining a profitable and successful business, you must have to make a proper and effective goat farming business plan and go according to the plan. Here we are shortly describing the necessary steps for starting a goat farming business.
Select a Very Good Farm Area
Always try to select a suitable farmland/area for your business that has all the required facilities for a successful goat farming business. The necessary facilities for the goat farming business include the following.
- Great source of fresh and clean water supply.
- Availability of all types of equipment.
- Easily available food source.
- Fertile field for crop, grasses and other green plant production. Feeding green food keeps the animal healthy, productive and reduces feeding costs.
- Availability of full time labor.
- Good transportation and veterinary service.
- A market near the farm land so that you can sell your products easily and buy necessary commodities.
Make Shelter or Housing for Your Goats
Housing is an important factor for a profitable goat farming business. Small scale farmer generally keeps their goats with their other livestock animals.
Feeding Your Goats
Well goat feed management is also very essential for commercial goat farming business. Goats are not a carnivorous animal. They don’t eat other animals.
Care & Management
Always try to take good care of your goats. Never feed them contaminated food or polluted water. Keep their house as much neat and clean as possible. And clean their house regularly.
In short, goat farming is a traditional, profitable, risk-less, and very easy business because of its multi-utility and fast-growing rate. Goats also can be used as a tool for poverty reduction and play an important role in the economic growth of a country. Although some risks go with every business. Proper care and good management can ensure better production and high profit. Wish you success!